First Generation: William Warner
Paternal grandfather of William Warner (1808–1845)
William Warner is my fifth great grandfather and the earliest Warner ancestor I have been able to identify.
William’s existence is evidenced by the record of his marriage to Elizabeth White, in Howden, Yorkshire on October 19 or 20, 1776 (sources give both dates: I hope someday to determine which is correct), and by the baptismal records of a number of his children.1 2 3
We don’t know where William was born or died, but we know that he was born about 1753 because the marriage record shows that he was 23 at the time that he and Elizabeth were wed.2
From the research done so far, it appears that William and Elizabeth had at least ten children, four sons and six daughters:
- Elizabeth Warner (married Thomas Rook; has living descendants in England and Australia)
- Martha Warner (married Miles Norton; has living descendants in the United States)
- Anne Warner
- Sarah Warner (died in infancy)
- Robert Warner
- Sarah Warner
- William Warner (married Hannah Benson; emigrated to Canada; has living descendants in Canada and the United States; my fourth great grandfather)
- John Warner (died in infancy)
- John Roberts Warner (married Ann Adlard)
- Mary Warner (married John Lofthouse; has living descendants in England)
William and Elizabeth had two daughters named Sarah and two sons named John. In each case, the first child died before the second was born. The first Sarah was born in 1783 and died in 1784. The first John was born in 1791 and died in 1792.4
1 GS Film Number: 558355. Digital Folder Number: 008087595. Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00743-1. System Origin: ODM. “England Marriages, 1538–1973 “, database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N2S9-R8D : 13 March 2020), William Warner, 1776.
2 Digital Folder Number: 007588448. Image Number: 01034. Record Number: 0. “England, Yorkshire Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1613-1887”, database, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:C1S6-L52M : 13 August 2020), William Warner, 1776.
3 For source information for the baptismal records, please refer to the pages of each of the children.
5 See post on this website: Finding our Yorkshire Cousins: Part 2 of 2.