My 5th great grandfather
William Warner is my fifth great grandfather and the earliest Warner ancestor I have been able to identify.
William’s existence is evidenced by the records of his marriage to Elizabeth White, in Howden, Yorkshire on October 20, 1776, and by the baptismal records of a number of his children.1 2 3
We don’t know where William was born. His marriage records say that he was from the parish of Aughton, about seven miles north of Howden, but the parish register there shows no record of his baptism or of any presence of the Warners at all.
We know that he was born about 1753 because his marriage licence shows that he was 23 at the time that he and Elizabeth were wed.2
From the research done so far, it appears that William and Elizabeth had at least eleven children, four sons and seven daughters:
- Elizabeth Warner (married Thomas Rook; has living descendants in England and Australia)
- Martha Warner (married Miles Norton; has living descendants in the United States)
- Anne Warner
- Sarah Warner (died in infancy)
- Robert Warner (died at age eleven)
- Sarah Warner
- William Warner (married Hannah Benson; emigrated to Canada; has living descendants in Canada and the United States; my fourth great grandfather)
- John Warner (died in infancy)
- Mary Warner (died in infancy)
- John Roberts Warner (married Ann)
- Mary Warner (married John Lofthouse; has living descendants in England)
William and Elizabeth had two daughters named Sarah, two named Mary, and two sons named John. In each case, the first child died before the second was born. The first Sarah was born in 1783 and died in 1784. The first John was born in 1791 and died in 1792. The first Mary was born and died in 1794.4
William died of consumption (tuberculosis) in Howden in June, 1801, and was buried there on June 28.
The elegant signature at the top of this page is William’s. It appeared on his marriage licence, dated October 19, 1776.
1 GS Film Number: 558355. Digital Folder Number: 008087595. Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00743-1. System Origin: ODM. “England Marriages, 1538–1973 “, database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N2S9-R8D : 13 March 2020), William Warner, 1776.
2 Digital Folder Number: 007588448. Image Number: 01034. Record Number: 0. “England, Yorkshire Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1613-1887”, database, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:C1S6-L52M : 13 August 2020), William Warner, 1776.
3 For source information for the baptismal records, please refer to the pages of each of the children.
5 See post on this website: Finding our Yorkshire Cousins Part 2 of 2.