He married Florence T. Farrell in Hamilton, Ontario. It appears that they had children.**
James died in Toronto on February 4, 1933, at the age of 67. He was buried at the Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto.
* James’s birthday is October 24, but the records give conflicting information about the year of his birth: it is either 1863 or 1865.
Here is the evidence suggesting that 1865 is correct:
- The 1871 census says he was 6 in that year (the earliest record we have; information provided by his mother or father);
- His marriage record says he was 26 in 1891 (information provided by him);
- His death record gives his date of birth as October 24, 1865 (information supplied by his widow, Florence);
- His burial record says that he was 68 in 1933 (information likely also supplied by Florence);
Here is the evidence suggesting that 1863 is correct:
- The 1881 census says he was 18 in that year (information probably provided by his father);
- The 1901 census gives his date of birth as October 24, 1863 (information provided by him or his wife, Florence);
- The inscription on his gravestone says he was born in 1863.
** Here is the evidence suggesting that James and Florence had no children:
- The 1901 census, taken when they had been married for ten years, shows no children present in their home.
- Birth registration had become routine in Ontario by the 1890s, but no record has been found for any child.
- Florence’s obituary (Toronto Star, January 9, 1945, p. 20) makes no mention of any children.